The lithium ion battery global market size was expected to be USD 44.49 billion in 2021 and is projected to reach USD 193.13 billion by 2028.* Six Sigma is used to improve quality in lithium ion and lithium thermal battery production. We’ll look at applications from Sweden, Denmark, and the USA and finish with a video of how lithium batteries are made for hybrid and electric vehicles.
Applying Six Sigma to Improve the Quality of Lithium-Ion Battery Cell Assembly: Sweden
In a Master’s thesis titled “Six Sigma for quality assurance of Lithium-ion batteries in the cell assembly process: A DMAIC field study at Northvolt” author Mani Mostafaee discusses a framework to control particle contamination in the cell assembly process for lithium-ion batteries.
The thesis includes:
- Process Map for Cylindrical Battery Assembly
- Risk Assessments for Cylindrical Battery Assembly Process
- Machine-Based Risk Levels
- Beading Machine Risks
- Winding Machine Risks
- Measurement Methods and Details
- Analysis of Particle Stamps
- Ishikawa Diagram for Technical Cleanliness Issues
- Particle Contamination Reduction Before and After Cleaning Gloves
- Final Recommendations
You can read the thesis here.
Six Sigma DMAIC in Lithium-Ion Battery Production: Denmark
In a paper titled “DMAIC in Lithium-Ion-Battery Production” authors Claus Weihs, Oliver Meyer and Sarah Schnackenberg demonstrate the Define, Measure, and Analyze steps for the calendering step in Lithium-Ion-Battery Production.
The paper includes:
- Calendering Process
- Measurement Systems Analysis
- Experimental Design and Analysis
**NOTE ** Clicking on this link will automatically download the paper.
Six Sigma Used to Reduce Product Variability in Lithium Thermal Battery Development: USA-Pennsylvania
In a PowerPoint presentation titled “Thermal Battery Development – Reduced Product Variability Through Six Sigma and Materials Finger-Printing” authors Paul F. Schisselbauer and John Bostwick
discuss a thermal battery development effort where product variability is reduced through the use of Six-Sigma tools, materials characterization or “finger-printing”, and automation.
The presentation includes:
- Battery Type Performance Comparison
- Process Definition Using Six Sigma
- Thermal Battery Description
- Manufacturing Processes
- Process and Material Control
- Materials Characterization
- Cost Reduction Initiatives
You can view the presentation here.
Manufacturing Lithium Batteries for Hybrid or Electric Vehicles
See how lithium batteries are manufactured in this video from How Its Made.
Want to progress further with your Six Sigma career? Join ISSSP today and access the hundreds of interviews,
webinars, whitepapers, case studies, and other resources available in our online library.