Ammunition is used around the world for peaceful, non-peaceful, and recreational uses. Lean Six Sigma is applied to the manufacturing and other processes to improve quality and reduce waste. We’ll look at two applications from Indonesia and two from the USA, and finish with a video of ammunition manufacturing processes.
Using Six Sigma to Improve the Ammunition Assembly Process: Indonesia
In a paper titled “Product Quality Improvement in the Assembly Process of the 5.56 mm Ammunitions (VariantMU5-TJ) at PT.X Using the Six Sigma Method,” authors Ratna Sari Trisna Wardani and Mokhamad Suef discuss the use of Six Sigma to improve the quality of the ammunition preparation process.
The paper includes:
- Visual Defects List
- Pareto Chart of Ammunition Assembly Process
- Process Capability of Cartridge Weight Before and After Improvement
- Process Capability of Cartridge Length Before and After Improvement
- Pareto Chart of Defect Types
- Fishbone Diagram of Defects in Ammunition Assembly
You can read the paper here.
Using Six Sigma DMAIC to Improve a Cartridge Case Production Line: Indonesia
In a case study titled “The application of Six Sigma-DMAIC method to reduce defects and improve the cartridge case process in ammunition company,” authors Merlina Fitri Anggamawarti, Pratikto, and Yeni Sumantri discuss the use of Six Sigma to evaluate the causes of defects and improve the quality of the MU5-TJ cartridge case production line.
The case study includes:
- Pareto Diagram of Ammunition Component Defects of All Calibers
- MU5-TJ Cartridge Case Production Process Flowchart
- Pareto Diagram of Defects in the MU5-TJ Production Process
- Pareto Diagram of Defects Due to the MU5-TJ Cartridge Case Gauging Process
- MU5-TJ Cartridge Case Headspace Process Capability Before Improvement
- MU5-TJ Cartridge Case Rim Thickness Process Capability Before Improvement
- Cause and Effect Diagram for Defects for Headspace and Rim Thickness
- Defects Affected by Inspection Method and Machine Setting
- Process Capability and Other Results: Before and After Improvement
You can read the case study here.
Ammunition Enterprise Excellence: USA
In an early short presentation of a panel discussion titled “Ammunition Enterprise Excellence,” Robert Crawford of the Joint Munitions Command outlines Enterprise Excellence in ammunition.
The presentation includes:
- Enterprise Excellence Flowchart including Six Sigma and Lean
- Ammunition Life Cycle Flowchart
You can access the presentation here.
Using Lean Six Sigma to Reduce Excess Ammunition Shipments: USA
In a short article titled “Lean Six Sigma project reduces excess ammunition shipments,” author Linda K Loebach discusses a Green Belt Lean Six Sigma project whose object was to reduce the number of shipments by reducing the quantity of excess ammunition at the Ammunition Supply Points.
You can read the article here.
Ammunition Manufacturing Processes
See how ammunition is made in this video from Tantum Tech HD.
You can watch the video here.
Discover why more professionals are taking the next step and joining ISSSP! Access the hundreds of interviews, webinars, whitepapers, case studies, and other resources available in our online library.