Six Sigma is a methodology that is used to improve processes, whether they are from manufacturing or services. Human Resources is a major business department that provides services to an organization.
Marcia Rhodes from WorldatWork TV interviews Michaela Leo, Compensation Leader with a major pharmaceutical firm to learn how Six Sigma can be used to improve Human Resources processes and programs.
Is your Human Resources Department employing Six Sigma to improve its processes?
In this introductory video, Michaela Leo provides answers to the following questions:
- Why does Six Sigma apply to HR and specifically compensation?
- What is an example of a Six Sigma tool and how a reward practitioner can use it?
- Can you give a specific example of Six Sigma being used as a problem-solving tool?
- If an HR professional has a problem to solve, should they get their own training or borrow a Black Belt from another department?
You can view the interview here.
For examples of potential Six Sigma projects in HR, see the excellent article by Alastair Muir.
He lists projects in the following areas:
- Compensation and Benefits
- Human Resources Management
- Labor Relations
- HR Legal Issues
- Organizational Development
- Staffing and Selection
- Workplace Health and Safety