There is no doubt that many top financial institutions have embraced some form of Lean Six Sigma. As an exercise we went to Indeed.com in order to get a snapshot of what the demand for jobs might be.
Accordingly, we looked at job notices on Indeed for six top financial institutions.
- J.P. Morgan
- Goldman Sachs
- Bank of America
- Capital One
- Wells Fargo
This was not meant to be a scientific study.
We searched on the company name and Six Sigma jobs. What follows is a sampling of the company and required/desired skills they listed with Six Sigma. Each bullet is from a separate job description.
Selected Required/Desired Skills by Institution: Five listings per Company
- Formal project management training (PMI/Six Sigma/other) and project management experience
- Demonstrated process improvement experience required with formal Lean/Six Sigma certification a plus
- Contribute to continuous improvement by leveraging CMM, Six Sigma or other methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited university/institution; advanced degree and/or certifications (e.g., PMP, Six Sigma/ Lean Certification, Certified Scrum Master, Certified Scrum Product Owner) a plus
- Drive Quality, Cost, and Service Delivery projects to completion using formal process improvement methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma and Capacity Planning.
- Six Sigma and Lean Certification (Green Belt or Black Belt preferred)
- Certification in Six Sigma / Lean / other process improvement methodologies
- Exposure to Lean, Agile, Six Sigma, BPM and ITIL preferable (Two listings)
- Six Sigma or similar certifications is a strong plus
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma process improvement preferred
- PMP/PMI certification is a plus, as is Six Sigma training
- Experience driving transformational process change in organizations and executing process improvement methods, preferably using Lean and Six Sigma practices and tools
- Previous experience with Lean Methodology / Six Sigma
- Process improvement experience (Six Sigma, Lean)
Bank of America
- Six Sigma, BPM (business process management), or Project Management (PMP) certification
- Knowledge of PMI, Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Agile (SCRUM), Waterfall, and/or Six Sigma (Lean) methodologies
- Six Sigma or Lean certification, with significant applied experience to improving processes.
- Experience in Strategy and Operational Excellence, process assessment & engineering, Lean Six Sigma and Project/Program Management
- Experience with Six Sigma/Lean practices and change management required.
- Lean, Six Sigma certification
- PMP, Lean, Agile or Six Sigma certification
- BPM, Lean, Agile or Six Sigma certification
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt
- Lean, Agile, Six Sigma, Business Process Management, or Project Management certification
- Experience working with process improvement methodologies such as Lean or Six Sigma
- BA/BS degree or higher and 1+year of experience in one or a combination of the following: process engineering, military (supply chain, analytics and/or engineering); or LEAN/Six Sigma Green belt
- Experience in Business Process Management practices• Lean Six Sigma Green or Black Belt Certification or equivalent process improvement Operational Excellence experience
- Knowledge and understanding of Six Sigma methodology
- LEAN/Six Sigma Green belt and 3+ years of experience in one or a combination of the following: process engineering, military (supply chain, analytics and/or engineering)
This simple exercise should give an idea of the inroads Lean and Six Sigma have made in the financial arena.